REVELATION 18Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Revelation - BM Home - Full Page
1. And after these things I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having great authority, and the earth was lightened by his glory.
2. And he cried out mightily with a great voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become a habitation of demons, and a hold of every unclean spirit, and a hold of every unclean and hateful bird.
3. For all the nations have drunk of the wine of the anger of her whoredom, and the kings of the earth have committed whoredom with her, and the merchants of the earth have become rich from the abundance of her luxuries.
4. And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye become not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
5. For her sins have reached even unto heaven, and God hath remembered her injustices.
6. Render unto her even as she hath rendered unto you; and double unto her double according to her works; in the cup which she hath mingled, mingle to her double.
7. As much as she hath glorified herself and lived luxuriously, so much torment and mourning give her, for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am not a widow, and shall not see mourning.
8. For this shall her plagues come in one day, death and mourning and famine; and she shall be burned up in fire, for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her.
9. And the kings of the earth shall weep for her, and wail over her, who have committed whoredom and lived luxuriously with her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning;
10. Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Woe, woe, that great city Babylon, that mighty city; for in one hour is thy judgment come.
11. And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her, because no one buyeth their merchandise any more;
12. Merchandise of gold and silver, and precious stone and pearls, and fine linen and purple, and silk and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and every vessel of ivory, and every vessel of precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble,
13. And cinnamon and incense, and ointment and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour and wheat, and beasts of burden and sheep, and horses, and carriages, and bodies and souls of men.
14. And the fruits of the desire of thy soul have departed from thee, and all fat and splendid things have departed from thee, and thou shalt find them no more at all.
15. The merchants of these things, who became rich by her, shall stand afar off for fear of her torment, weeping and mourning,
16. And saying, Woe, woe, that great city, arrayed in fine linen and purple and scarlet, and inwrought with gold, and precious stone, and pearls ; for in one hour so great riches were devastated.
17. And every pilot and everyone employed upon ships, and sailors, and as many as work at sea, stood afar off,
18. And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What city is like unto this great city?
19. And they cast dust upon their heads, and cried, weeping and mourning, saying, Woe, woe, that great city, in which all that had ships in the sea were made rich by her costliness; for in one hour they were devastated.
20. Exult over her, O heaven, and ye holy apostles and prophets; for God hath judged your judgment upon her.
21. And one strong angel took up a stone like a great mill-stone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be cast down, and shall not be found any more.
22. And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and pipers, and trumpeters shall not be heard in thee any more; and no craftsman of any craft shall be found in thee any more; and the voice of a millstone shall not be heard in thee any more;
23. And the light of a lamp shall not shine in thee any more, and the voice of bridegroom and bride shall not be heard in thee any more; because thy merchants were the great ones of the earth; because by thy sorcery have all nations been seduced.
24. And in her was found the blood of prophets and of saints, and of all that have been slain upon the earth.REVELATION 18 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Revelation - BM Home - Full Page