GENESIS 44Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page
1. And he commanded him that was over his house, saying, Fill the men’s bags with food, as much as they can carry, and put everyone‘s silver in his bag’s mouth.
2. And put my cup, the silver cup, in the bag‘s mouth of the youngest, and his grain silver. And he did according to the word of Joseph that he had spoken.
3. The morning grew light, and the men were sent away, they and their asses.
4. They were gone out of the city, not yet far off, and Joseph said unto him that was over his house, Up, follow after the men; and when thou dost overtake them, say unto them, Wherefore do ye return evil for good?
5. Is not this it in which my lord drinketh, and in which divining he divineth? Ye have done evil in so doing.
6. And he overtook them, and he spake unto them these words.
7. And they said unto him, Wherefore speaketh my lord according to these words? Far be it from thy servants to do according to this word.
8. Behold, the silver which we found in our bag’s mouth we brought back to thee out of the land of Canaan; and how should we steal out of thy lord‘s house silver or gold?
9. With whomsoever of thy servants it be found, let him die, and we also will be to my lord for servants.
10. And he said, Now also according to your words so be it; he with whom it is found shall be to me a servant, and ye shall be blameless.
11. And they hastened, and made everyone his bag come down to the earth, and opened every man his bag.
12. And he searched; he began at the eldest, and left off at the youngest; and the cup was found in Benjamin’s bag.
13. And they rent their garments, and laded everyone his ass, and returned to the city.
14. And Judah and his brethren entered Joseph‘s house, and he was yet there; and they fell before him to the earth.
15. And Joseph said unto them, What deed is this that ye have done? Knew ye not that such a man as I divining divineth?
16. And Judah said, what shall we say to my lord? what shall we speak? and how shall we be justified? God hath found out the iniquity of thy servants; behold we are servants to my lord, both we, and he also in whose hand the cup was found.
17. And he said, Far be it from me to do this; the man in whose hand the cup was found, he shall be to me a servant; and ye, go ye up in peace to your father.
18. And Judah came near unto him, and said, By me, my lord, let thy servant I pray speak a word in my lord’s ears, and let not thine anger be kindled against thy servant; for thou art even as Pharaoh.
19. My lord asked his servants, saying, Have ye a father, or a brother?
20. And we said unto my lord, We have a father, an old man, and a child of his old ages, the youngest; and his brother is dead, and he alone is left to his mother, and his father loveth him.
21. And thou saidst unto thy servants, Make him come down unto me, and I will set mine eye upon him.
22. And we said unto my lord, The boy cannot leave his father; and should he leave his father, he will die.
23. And thou saidst unto thy servants, If your youngest brother come not down with you, ye shall see my faces no more.
24. And it came to pass when we came up unto thy servant my father, we told him the words of my lord.
25. And our father said, Return ye, buy us a little food.
26. And we said, We cannot go down: if our younger brother be with us, then will we go down; for we cannot see the man‘s faces, and our youngest brother he not with us.
27. And thy servant my father said unto us, Ye know that my wife bare me two sons:
28. And the one went out from me, and I said, Surely tearing he is torn in pieces; and I have not seen him hitherto.
29. And ye are taking this one also from my faces, and if harm befall him ye will make my gray hairs go down in evil to the grave.
30. And now when I come to thy servant my father, and the boy he not with us, and his soul is bound in his soul.
31. And it shall come to pass when be seeth that the boy is not, that he will die; and thy servants will make thy servant our father’s gray hairs go down in sorrow to the grave.
32. For thy servant became surety for the boy from being with my father, saying, If I bring him not back unto thee I shall sin to my father all the days.
33. And now I pray let thy servant remain instead of the boy a servant to my lord, and let the boy go up with his brethren.
34. For how shall I go up to my father and the boy he not with me? peradventure I shall see the evil that shall come upon my father.GENESIS 44 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page