GENESIS 29Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page
1. And Jacob lifted up his feet, and went to the land of the sons of the east.
2. And he saw, and behold a well in the field, and behold there three droves of the flock lying by it; for out of that well they watered the droves; and a great stone was upon the well‘s mouth.
3. And all the droves were gathered together thither; and they rolled the stone from the well’s mouth, and watered the flock, and they put the stone in its place again upon the well‘s mouth.
4. And Jacob said unto them, My brethren whence are ye? And they said, Of Haran are we.
5. And he said unto them, Know ye Laban the son of Nahor? And they said, We know him.
6. And he said unto them, Hath he peace? And they said, Peace; and behold Rachel his daughter cometh with the flock.
7. And he said, Behold as yet the day is great, it is not time for the cattle to be gathered together: water ye the flock, and go and feed them.
8. And they said, We cannot until all the droves are gathered together, and they roll the stone from the well’s mouth; then shall we water the flock.
9. While he was yet speaking with them, Rachel came with the flock which was her father‘s, for she was a shepherdess.
10. And it came to pass, when Jacob saw Rachel the daughter of Laban his mother’s brother, and the flock of Laban his mother‘s brother, that Jacob came near, and rolled the stone from the well’s mouth, and watered the flock of Laban his mother‘s brother.
11. And Jacob kissed Rachel, and lifted up his voice and wept.
12. And Jacob told Rachel that he was her father’s brother, and that he was Rebekah‘s son; and she ran and told her father.
13. And it came to pass, when Laban heard the tidings of Jacob his sister’s son, that he ran to meet him, and embraced him, and kissed him, and brought him to his house; and he told Laban all these things.
14. And Laban said to him, Surely thou art my bone and my flesh. And he dwelt with him a month of days.
15. And Laban said unto Jacob, Because thou art my brother shouldest thou therefore serve me for nought? Tell me, what shall be thy reward?
16. And Laban had two daughters, the name of the elder was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel.
17. And Leah‘s eyes were weak, and Rachel was beautiful in form and beautiful in look.
18. And Jacob loved Rachel, and he said, I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter.
19. And Laban said, It is better that I should give her to thee than give her to another man; abide with me.
20. And Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they were in his eyes as a few days, for the love he had to her.
21. And Jacob said unto Laban, Give me my woman, for my days are fulfilled, and I will come to her.
22. And Laban gathered together all the men of the place, and made a feast.
23. And it came to pass in the evening, that he took Leah his daughter, and brought her to him, and he came to her.
24. And Laban gave her Zilpah his handmaid, unto his daughter Leah for a handmaid.
25. And it came to pass in the morning that behold it was Leah; and he said unto Laban, What is this that thou hast done unto me? Did not I serve with thee for Rachel? and why let thou defrauded me?
26. And Laban said, It is not so done in our place, to give the younger before the firstborn.
27. Fulfill this week, and we will give thee her also, for the service which thou shalt serve with me yet seven other years.
28. And Jacob did so, and fulfilled this week, and he gave him Rachel his daughter for a woman.
29. And Laban gave to Rachel his daughter Bilhah his handmaid to be to her for a handmaid.
30. And he came also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.
31. And Jehovah saw that Leah was hated, and He opened her womb, and Rachel was barren.
32. And Leah conceived and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben, for she said, Because Jehovah hath seen my affliction, for now my man will love me.
33. And she conceived again, and bare a son, and said, Because Jehovah hath heard that I was hated, and hath given me this one also; and she called his name Simeon.
34. And she conceived again, and bare a son, and said, Now this time will my man cleave to me, because I have borne him three sons; therefore she called his name Levi.
35. And she conceived again, and bare a son, and she said, This time I will confess Jehovah therefore she called his name Judah; and she stood still from bearing.GENESIS 29 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page