GENESIS 30Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page
1. And Rachel saw that she did not bare to Jacob, and Rachel was zealous against her sister; and she said unto Jacob, Give me sons; and if not, I am dead.
2. And Jacob was kindled with anger against Rachel, and he said, Am I in God’s stead, who withholdeth from thee the fruit of the belly?
3. And she said, Behold my maidservant Bilhah, come to her, and she shall bear upon my knees, and I shall be built, even I, from her.
4. And she gave him Bilhah her handmaid for a woman, and Jacob came to her.
5. And Bilhah conceived, and bare Jacob a son.
6. And Rachel said, God hath judged me, and also hath heard my voice, and hath given me a son; therefore she called his name Dan.
7. And she conceived again, and Bilhah Rachel‘s handmaid bare a second son to Jacob.
8. And Rachel said, with the wrestlings of God have I wrestled with my sister, and I have prevailed; and she called his name Naphtali.
9. And Leah saw that she had stood still from bearing; and she took Zilpah her handmaid, and gave her to Jacob for a woman.
10. And Zilpah Leah’s handmaid bare Jacob a son.
11. And Leah said, A troop cometh; and she called his name Gad.
12. And Zilpah Leah‘s handmaid bare a second son to Jacob.
13. And Leah said, In my blessedness; for the daughters will call me blessed; and she called his name Asher.
14. And Reuben went in the days of wheat-harvest, and found dudaim in the field, and brought them unto Leah his mother. And Rachel said to Leah, Give me I pray of thy son’s dudaim.
15. And she said unto her, Is it a small matter that thou hast taken away my man, and wouldest thou take also my son‘s dudaim? And Rachel said, Therefore he shall lie with thee tonight for thy son’s dudaim.
16. And Jacob came from the field in the evening, and Leah went out to meet him, and said, Thou must come to me, for hiring I have hired thee with my son‘s dudaim; and he lay with her that night.
17. And God hearkened unto Leah, and she conceived and bare Jacob a fifth son.
18. And Leah said, God hath given me my reward, because I gave my handmaid to my man; and she called his name Issachar. 19. And Leah conceived again, and bare a sixth son to Jacob.
20. And Leah said, God hath endowed me with a good dowry; now will my man dwell with me, because I have borne him six sons; and she called his name Zebulun.
21. And afterwards she bare a daughter, and called her name Dinah.
22. And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb.
23. And she conceived, and bare a son, and said, God hath gathered my reproach.
24. And she called his name Joseph, saying, Let Jehovah add to me another son.
25. And it came to pass, when Rachel had borne Joseph, that Jacob said unto Laban, Send me away, and I will go to my place and to my land.
26. Give me my females, and my children, for whom I have served thee, and I will go; for thou knowest my service, wherewith I have served thee.
27. And Laban said unto him, If I pray I have found grace in thine eyes, I have tested it, and Jehovah hath blessed me for thy sake.
28. And he said, Signify to me thy reward, and I will give it.
29. And he said unto him, Thou knowest how I have served thee, and how thy substance has been with me.
30. For it was little that thou hadst before me, and it hath burst forth into a multitude, and Jehovah hath blessed thee at my foot; and now when shall I also be doing for mine own house?
31. And he said, What shall I give thee? And Jacob said, Thou shalt not give me anything; if thou wilt do this word for me, I will return, and feed and keep thy flock.
32. I will pass through all thy flock this day, removing from thence every small cattle that is speckled and spotted, and every black one among the lambs, and the spotted and speckled among the goats, and these shall be my reward.
33. And my righteousness shall answer for me on the morrow, because thou comest upon my reward before thee; everyone that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and black among the lambs, stolen is this with me.
34. And Laban said, Behold, I would it might be according to thy word.
35. And he removed that day the he-goats that were partycolored and spotted, and all the she-goats that were speckled and spotted, everyone that had white in it, and all the black among the lambs, and gave them into the hand of his sons.
36. And he set a way of three days between himself and Jacob; and Jacob fed the rest of Laban’s flocks.
37. And Jacob took him a fresh rod of poplar, and hazel, and plane-tree, and peeled white peelings on them, laying bare the white that was upon the rods.
38. And he set the rods which he had peeled in the gutters, in the watering troughs, whither the flocks came to drink, over against the flocks; and they grew warm when they came to drink.
39. And the flocks grew warm at the rods, and the flocks brought forth partycolored, speckled, and spotted.
40. And Jacob separated the lambs, and set the faces of the flock toward the partycolored and all the black in the flock of Laban; and he put for himself droves for himself alone, and put them not unto Laban‘s flock.
41. And it came to pass in every growing warm of the flock that came together first, that Jacob put the rods before the eyes of the flock in the gutters, that it might grow warm at the rods.
42. And to the flock that came together later he did not set them; and those that came together later were Laban’s, and those that came together first were Jacob‘s.
43. And the man spread himself abroad exceeding greatly, and he had many flocks, and maidservants, and menservants, and camels, and asses.GENESIS 30 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page