EXODUS 32Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Exodus - BM Home - Full Page
1. And the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mountain; and the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Rise, make us gods which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that made us come up out of the land of Egypt, we know not what hath become of him.
2. And Aaron said unto them, Tear off the golden earrings which are in the ears of your women, of your sons, and of your daughters, and bring them unto me.
3. And all the people tore off the golden earrings that were in their ears, and brought them unto Aaron.
4. And he received them from their hand, and formed it with a graving tool, and made it a molten calf; and they said, These are thy gods, O Israel, which made thee come up out of the land of Egypt.
5. And Aaron saw, and he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation, and said, To-morrow is a feast to jehovah.
6. And they rose up in the morning on the morrow, and offered burnt-offerings, and brought peace-offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play.
7. And Jehovah spake unto Moses, Go, get thee down; for thy people have corrupted themselves, which thou madest to come up out of the land of Egypt:
8. They have gone back suddenly from the way which I commanded them; they have made them a molten calf, and have adored it, and have sacrificed to it, and said, These are thy gods, O Israel, which made thee to come up out of the land of Egypt.
9. And Jehovah said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and behold it is a stiffnecked people:
10. And thou, suffer Me, that Mine anger may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them; and I will make thyself into great nation.
11. And Moses besought the faces of Jehovah his God, and said, Wherefore, O Jehovah, shall Thine anger wax hot against Thy people, which Thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a strong hand?
12. Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, saying, Into evil did He bring them forth, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from upon the faces of the earth? Turn back from the wrath of Thine anger, and repent of the evil to Thy people.
13. Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel Thy servants, to whom Thou swarest by Thyself, and spakest unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of the heavens, and all this land that I have said will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for an age.
14. And Jehovah repented of the evil which He said He would do to His people.
15. And Moses looked back, and came down from the mountain, and the two tables of the Testimony were in his hand; the tables were written on the two crossings, hereupon and hereupon were they written.
16. And the tables were the work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, graven upon the tables.
17. And Joshua heard the voice of the people in their shouting, and be said unto Moses, There is a voice of war in the camp.
18. And he said, It is not the voice of a cry for victory, neither is it the voice of a cry for being overcome: the voice of a miserable cry do I hear.
19. And it came to pass, as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf and the dances; and Moses waxed hot with anger, and he cast the tables out of his hand, and brake them beneath the mountain.
20. And he took the calf which they had made, and burnt it with fire, and ground it even to powder, and strewed it upon the faces of the waters, and made the sons of Israel drink.
21. And Moses said unto Aaron, What did this people to thee, that thou hast brought so great a sin upon them?
22. And Aaron said, Let not thine anger wax hot, my lord; thou knowest the people, that it is in evil.
23. And they said to me, Make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that made us to come up out of the land of Egypt, we know not what hath become of him.
24. And I said to them, Whosoever hath any gold, tear ye it off; and they gave it me; and I cast it into the fire, and there came out this calf.
25. And Moses saw that the people was lax, for Aaron had made them lax unto annihilation by those rising up against them:
26. And Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is for Jehovah? come unto me. And all the sons of Levi were gathered together unto him.
27. And he said to them, Thus saith Jehovah the God of Israel, Put ye every man his sword upon his thigh, and pass ye through and return from gate to gate in the camp, and slay ye, a man his brother, and a man his companion, and a man his neighbor.
28. And the sons of Levi did according to the word of Moses; and there fell of the people that day up to three thousand men.
29. And Moses said, Fill ye your hand this day to Jehovah, for a man is against his son, and against his brother; that He may bestow upon you a blessing this day.
30. And it came to pass on the day after, that Moses said unto the people, Ye have sinned a great sin; and now I will go up unto Jehovah; perchance I shall make expiation for your sin.
31. And Moses returned unto Jehovah and said, I beseech Thee! this people hath sinned a great sin, and they have made them gods of gold.
32. And now if Thou wilt forgive their sin! and if not, blot me I pray out of Thy book which Thou hast written.
33. And Jehovah said unto Moses, Him that hath sinned against Me, him will I blot out of My book.
34. And now go, lead the people unto that which I said to thee; behold Mine angel shall go before thee; and in the day of My visitation I will visit their sin upon them.
35. And Jehovah smote the people, because they had made the calf, which Aaron made.EXODUS 32 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Exodus - BM Home - Full Page