GENESIS 47Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page
1. And Joseph came and told Pharaoh, and said, My father and my brethren, and their flocks, and their herds, and all that they have, have come out of the land of Canaan; and behold they are in the land of Goshen.
2. And from among his brethren he took five men, and set them before Pharaoh.
3. And Pharaoh said unto his brethren, What are your works? And they said unto Pharaoh, Thy servants are a shepherd of the flock, both we and our fathers.
4. And they said unto Pharaoh, To sojourn in the land have we come; for there is no pasture for thy servants‘ flock; for the famine is grievous in the land of Canaan; and now I pray let thy servants dwell in the land of Goshen.
5. And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, saying, Thy father and thy brethren have come unto thee:
6. The land of Egypt before thee is it; in the best of the land make thy father and thy brethren dwell; let them dwell in the land of Goshen; and if thou knowest, and there be among them, men of activity, then set them as princes over my cattle.
7. And Joseph brought Jacob his father, and set him before Pharaoh; and Jacob blessed Pharaoh.
8. And Pharaoh said unto Jacob, How many are the days of the years of thy life?
9. And Jacob said unto Pharaoh, The days of the years of my sojournings are a hundred and thirty years; few and evil have been the days of the years of my life, and they have not attained to the days of the years of the life of my fathers in the days of their sojournings.
10. And Jacob blessed Pharaoh, and went out from before Pharaoh.
11. And Joseph made his father and his brethren dwell, and gave them a possession in the land of Egypt, in the best of the land, in the land of Rameses, as Pharaoh had commanded.
12. And Joseph sustained his father, and his brethren, and all his father’s house, with bread, according to the mouth of the babe.
13. And there was no bread in all the land; because the famine was very grievous, and the land of Egypt and the land of Canaan labored by reason of the famine.
14. And Joseph gathered together all the silver that was found in the land of Egypt, and in the land of Canaan, for the produce which they bought; and Joseph brought the silver into Pharaoh‘s house.
15. And when the silver was all spent in the land of Egypt, and in the land of Canaan, all Egypt came unto Joseph, saying, Give us bread; for why should we die beside thee because the silver faileth?
16. And Joseph said, Give your cattle; and I will give you for your cattle, if silver fail.
17. And they brought their cattle unto Joseph; and Joseph gave them bread (in exchange) for the horses, and for the cattle of the flock, and for the cattle of the herd, and for the asses; and he provided them with bread (in exchange) for all their cattle in this year.
18. And when this year was ended, they came unto him in the second year, and said to him, We will not hide from my lord how that the silver is spent; and the herd of the beast is to my lord; there is nought left before my lord besides our body and our ground.
19. Wherefore should we die before thine eyes, both we and our ground? buy us and our ground for bread, and we shall live, and our ground, servants to Pharaoh; and give seed, that we may live, and not die, and the ground be not laid waste.
20. And Joseph bought all the ground of Egypt for Pharaoh; for the Egyptians sold everyone his field, because the famine grew strong upon them; and the land was Pharaoh’s.
21. And as for the people, he removed it to the cities from one end of the border of Egypt even to the other end thereof.
22. Only the ground of the priests bought he not; because a portion was appointed for the priests by Pharaoh, and they ate their appointed portion which Pharaoh had given them; wherefore they sold not their ground.
23. And Joseph said unto the people, Behold I have bought you this day and your ground for Pharaoh; lo here is seed for you, and ye shall sow the ground.
24. And it shall be in the in gatherings that ye shall give a fifth to Pharaoh, and four parts shall be for you, for seed of the field, and for your food, and for them in your houses, and for food for your babes.
25. And they said, Thou hast made us live; let us find grace in the eyes of my lord, and we will be Pharaoh‘s servants.
26. And Joseph made it a statute even unto this day, concerning the ground of Egypt, that Pharaoh should have the fifth; only the ground of the priests, only theirs, was not Pharaoh’s.
27. And Israel dwelt in the land of Egypt, in the land of Goshen; and they had a possession therein, and were fruitful, and multiplied exceedingly.
28. And Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years; so the days of Jacob, the years of his life, were seven years, and a hundred and forty years.
29. And the days of Israel drew near to die; and he called his son Joseph, and said to him, If I pray I have found grace in thine eyes, put I pray thy hand under my thigh, and do mercy and truth with me; bury me not I pray in Egypt.
30. And I will lie with my fathers, and thou shalt carry me out of Egypt, and bury me in their sepulchre. And he said, I will do according to thy word.
31. And he said, Swear to me: and he sware to him. Israel bowed himself upon the bed‘s head.GENESIS 47 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page