GENESIS 35Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page
1. And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and abide there; and make there an altar unto God who appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from before Esau thy brother.
2. And Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the gods of the stranger which are in the midst of you, and purify yourselves, and change your garments:
3. And let us arise, and go up to Bethel, and I will make there an altar unto God who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I walked.
4. And they gave unto Jacob all the gods of the stranger which were in their hand, and the earrings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem.
5. And they journeyed; and a terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them, and they did not pursue after the sons of Jacob.
6. And Jacob came to Luz, which is in the land of Canaan, this is Bethel, he and all the people that were with him.
7. And he built there an altar, and called the place El-Bethel; because there the gods were revealed unto him when he fled from before his brother.
8. And Deborah Rebekah’s nurse died, and she was buried from under Bethel under the oak; and he called the name of it Allon-bacuth.
9. And God was seen by Jacob again when he came from Paddan-aram, and blessed him.
10. And God said to him, Thy name is Jacob; thy name shall no more be called Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name; and He called his name Israel.
11. And God said to him, I am God Shaddai; be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be from thee, and kings shall go forth from thy loins.
12. And the land which I gave to Abraham and to Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land.
13. And God went up from upon him in the place in which He spake with him.
14. And Jacob set up a pillar in the place in which He spake with him, a pillar of stone; and he poured out a drink-offering thereon, and poured oil thereon.
15. And Jacob called the name of the place where God spake with him, Bethel.
16. And they journeyed from Bethel; and there was still a tract of land to come to Ephrath; and Rachel brought forth, and suffered hard things in her bringing forth.
17. And it came to pass in her suffering hard things in her bringing forth that the midwife said unto her, Fear not, for this also is to thee a son.
18. And it came to pass as her soul was going forth that she was about to die; and she called his name Benoni; and his father called him Benjamin.
19. And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath, this is Bethlehem.
20. And Jacob set up a pillar upon her grave; this is the pillar of Rachel‘s grave even to this day.
21. And Israel journeyed, and spread his tent beyond the tower of Eder.
22. And it came to pass, while Israel abode in this land, that Reuben went and lay with Bilhah his father’s concubine, and Israel heard. And the sons of Jacob were twelve.
23. The sons of Leah, Reuben, Jacob‘s firstborn, and Simeon and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and Zebulun.
24. The sons of Rachel, Joseph and Benjamin.
25. And the sons of Bilhah Rachel’s handmaid, Dan an Naphtali.
26. And the sons of Zilpah Leah‘s handmaid, Gad and Asher. These are the sons of Jacob, who were born to him in Paddan-aram.
27. And Jacob came unto Isaac his father to Mamre Kiriath-arba, this is Hebron, where Abraham and Isaac sojourned.
28. And the days of Isaac were a hundred years and eighty years.
29. And Isaac expired and died, and was gathered unto his people, old and sated of days; and Esau and Jacob his sons buried him.GENESIS 35 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page