GENESIS 34Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page
1. And Dinah the daughter of Leah, whom she bare unto Jacob, went out to see the daughters of the land.
2. And Shechem the son of Hamor the Hivite, the prince of the land, saw her, and took her, and lay with her, and forced her.
3. And his soul clave unto Dinah the daughter of Jacob, and he loved the damsel, and spake upon the heart of the damsel.
4. And Shechem said unto Hamor his father, saying, Get me this girl for a woman.
5. And Jacob heard that he had defiled Dinah his daughter; and his sons were with his acquisition in the field; and Jacob was silent until they came.
6. And Hamor the father of Shechem went out unto Jacob to speak with him.
7. And the sons of Jacob came from the field as they heard it, and the men were grieved, and they were very angry, because he had wrought folly in Israel, in lying with Jacob’s daughter, and so it ought not to be done.
8. And Hamor spake with them, saying, Shechem my son, his soul longs for your daughter, give her I pray to him for a woman.
9. And share kinships with us; give your daughters to us, and take our daughters to you.
10. And ye shall dwell with us, and the land shall be before you, dwell ye, and range through it trading, and get you possession therein.
11. And Shechem said unto her father and unto her brothers, Let me find grace in your eyes, and what ye say unto me I will give.
12. Multiply upon me exceedingly dowry and gift, and I will give as ye say unto me; and give me the damsel for a woman.
13. And the sons of Jacob answered Shechem and Hamor his father in fraud, and spake, because he had defiled Dinah their sister.
14. And they said unto them, We cannot do this word, to give our sister to a man that hath a foreskin, because this would be a reproach unto us.
15. Nevertheless in this will we consent to you, if ye he as we to circumcise for you every male.
16. We will both give our daughters to you, and will take your daughters to us, and we will dwell with you, and we will be for one people.
17. And if ye will not listen unto us to circumcise, we will even take our daughter and go.
18. And their words were good in the eyes of Hamor, and in the eyes of Shechem Hamor‘s son.
19. And the lad delayed not to do the word, because he was well pleased in Jacob’s daughter; and he was honored above all the house of his father.
20. And Hamor and Shechem his son came unto the gate of their city, and spake unto the men of their city, saying,
21. These men are peaceable with us, and let them dwell in the land, and range through it trading, and behold the land is broad in spaces before them; let us take their daughters to us for women, and let us give our daughters to them.
22. Nevertheless in this will the men consent to us to dwell with us, to be for one people, in every male being circumcised to us, even as they are circumcised.
23. Their acquisition, and their purchase, and all their beast, will they not be ours? only let us consent to them, and they will dwell with us.
24. And they listened to Hamor and to Shechem his son, all that went out of the gate of his city; and they circumcised every male, all that went out of the gate of his city.
25. And it came to pass on the third day, when they were in pain, that the two sons of Jacob, Simeon and Levi, brothers of Dinah, took each his sword, and came upon the city boldly, and slew every male.
26. And they slew Hamor and Shechem his son at the edge of the sword, and took Dinah out of Shechem‘s house, and went forth.
27. The sons of Jacob came upon those who were pierced, and plundered the city, because they had defiled their sister.
28. Their flocks and their herds and their asses, and whatever was in the city, and whatever was in the field, they took;
29. And all their wealth, and all their babe, and their women, they took captive and made a prey of, and all that was in the house.
30. And Jacob said to Simeon and to Levi, Ye have troubled me, to make me to stink to the inhabitant of the land, to the Canaanite and the Perizzite; and I am mortals [few] of number, and they will be gathered together upon me, and will smite me, and I shall be destroyed, I and my house.
31. And they said, Shall he make our sister as a harlot?GENESIS 34 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page