GENESIS 18Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page
1. And Jehovah appeared unto him in the oak-groves of Mamre, and he was sitting at the door of the tent, as the day was growing hot.
2. And he lifted up his eyes and saw, and behold three men standing over him; and he saw, and ran to meet them from the door of the tent, and bowed himself toward the earth.
3. And he said, My Lord, if I pray I have found grace in thine eyes, pass not I pray from over thy servant.
4. Let I pray a little water be taken, and wash ye your feet, and lie down under the tree.
5. And I will take a piece of bread, and support ye your heart; afterwards ye may pass on; for therefore have ye passed over unto your servant. And they said, So do as thou hast spoken.
6. And Abraham hastened toward the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of meal of fine flour, knead, and make cakes.
7. And Abraham ran unto the herd and took a son of an ox, tender and good, and gave it to the lad, and he hasted to make it.
8. And he took butter and milk, and the son of an ox that he had made, and set before them; and he stood before them under the tree, and they did eat.
9. And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold in the tent.
10. And he said, Returning I will return unto thee about this time of life, and behold Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard at the door of the tent, and it was behind him.
11. And Abraham and Sarah were old, entering into days it had ceased to be with Sarah in the way as of women.
12. And Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am grown old shall I have pleasure? and my lord old?
13. And Jehovah said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I indeed truly bear, and I am become old?
14. Shall anything be wonderful for Jehovah? At the same time I will return unto thee, about this time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.
15. And Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And He said, Nay, for thou didst laugh.
16. And the men rose up thence, and looked toward the faces of Sodom; and Abraham went with them, to send them away.
17. And Jehovah said, Shall I hide from Abraham that which I do?
18. And Abraham shall surely be for a nation great and numerous, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him.
19. For I know him, because he will command his sons, and his house after him, and they will keep the way of Jehovah, to do righteousness and judgment; that Jehovah may bring upon Abraham that which He hath spoken concerning him.
20. And Jehovah said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah has become great, and because their sin has become very grievous.
21. I will go down I pray, and I will see whether they have made a consummation according to the cry thereof which is come unto Me, and if not I will know.
22. And the men looked forth thence, and went toward Sodom; and Abraham as yet he was standing before Jehovah.
23. And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt Thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
24. Peradventure there be fifty righteous in the midst of the city; wilt Thou also destroy and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous that are in the midst of it?
25. Be it far from Thee to do according to this thing, to cause the righteous to die with the wicked, that so the righteous be as the wicked; be it far from Thee; shall not the Judge of all the earth do judgment?
26. And Jehovah said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous in the midst of the city, I will spare all the place for their sake.
27. And Abraham answered and said, Behold I pray I have taken upon me to speak unto my Lord, and I am dust and ashes.
25. Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous; wilt Thou destroy all the city for five? and He said, I will not destroy it, if I find there forty and five.
29. And he added yet to speak unto Him, and said, Peradventure forty shall be found there; and He said, I will not do it for forty‘s sake.
30. And he said, Oh let not my Lord be angry, and I will speak: peradventure thirty shall be found there; and He said, I will not do it if I find thirty there.
31. And he said, Behold I pray I have taken upon me to speak unto my Lord: peradventure twenty shall be found there; and He said, I will not destroy it for twenty’s sake.
32. And he said, Oh let not my Lord be angry, and I will speak but this once: peradventure ten shall be found there; and He said, I will not destroy it for ten‘s sake.
33. And Jehovah went when He had completed His speaking unto Abraham; and Abraham returned unto his place.GENESIS 18 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page