GENESIS 11Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page
1. And the whole earth was of one lip, and their words were one.
2. And it came to pass when they journeyed from the east, that they found a valley in the land of Shinar, and they dwelt there.
3. And they said a man to his fellow, Come, let us make bricks, and let us burn them to a burning. And they had brick for stone, and bitumen had they for mortar.
4. And they said, Come, let us build us a city and a tower, and its head in heaven; and let us make us a name, lest peradventure we be scattered upon the faces of the whole earth.
5. And Jehovah came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of man were building.
6. And Jehovah said, Behold, the people are one, and they all have one lip, and this is what they begin to do; and now nothing will be withholden from them of all which they have thought to do.
7. Come, let us go down, and there confound their lip, that they hear not a man the lip of his fellow.
8. And Jehovah scattered them from thence upon the faces of all the earth; and they left off to build the city.
9. Therefore He called the name of it Babel, because there did Jehovah confound the lip of all the earth; and from thence did Jehovah scatter them upon the faces of all the earth.
10. These are the births of Shem: Shem was a son of a hundred years, and begat Arpachshad, two years after the flood.
11. And Shem lived after he begat Arpachshad five hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.
12. And Arpachshad lived five and thirty years, and begat Shelah.
13. And Arpachshad lived after he begat Shelah four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.
14. And Shelah lived thirty years, and begat Eber.
15. And Shelah lived after he begat Eber four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.
16. And Eber lived four and thirty years, and begat Peleg.
17. And Eber lived after he begat Peleg four hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters.
18. And Peleg lived thirty years, and begat Reu.
19. And Peleg lived after he begat Reu two hundred and nine years, and begat sons and daughters.
20. And Reu lived two and thirty years, and begat Serug. 21. And Reu lived after he begat Serug two hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters.
22. And Serug lived thirty years, and begat Nahor.
23. And Serug lived after he begat Nahor two hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.
24. And Nahor lived nine and twenty years, and begat Terah.
25. And Nahor lived after he begat Terah a hundred and nineteen years, and begat sons and daughters.
26. And Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran.
27. And these are the births of Terah: Terah begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran; and Haran begat Lot.
28. And Haran died upon the faces of Terah his father, in the land of his nativity, in Ur of the Chaldees.
29. And Abram and Nahor took them wives; the name of Abram‘s wife was Sarai; and the name of Nahor’s wife, Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah, and the father of Iscah.
30. And Sarai was barren, she had no offspring.
31. And Terah took Abram his son; and Lot the son of Haran, his son‘s son; and Sarai his daughter-in-law, his son Abram’s wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came even unto Haran, and stayed there.
32. And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years; and Terah died in Haran.GENESIS 11 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page