EXODUS 22Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Exodus - BM Home - Full Page
1. If a thief be caught while digging through, and be smitten, and he die, bloods shall not be shed for him.
2. If the sun have risen upon him, bloods shall be shed for him; repaying he shall repay; if he have nothing, he shall be sold for his theft.
3. If finding the theft be found in his hand, from an ox even to an ass, even to one of the small cattle, living; he shall repay double.
4. When a man shall desolate a field or a vineyard, and shall let his beast go in, and it shall desolate in the field of another; of the best of his own field, and of the best of his own vineyard, he shall repay.
5. When a fire shall go forth, and shall catch hold of thorns, and a stack is consumed, or the standing crop, or a field; he that kindleth the fire repaying shall repay.
6. When a man shall give to his companion silver or vessels to take care of, and it be stolen out of the man‘s house; if the thief be caught, he shall repay double.
7. If the thief be not caught, the lord of the house shall be brought unto God, to see whether he hath put his hand to his companion’s work.
8. Upon every word of transgression, upon ox, upon ass, upon one of the small cattle, upon garment, upon every lost thing, whereof he shall say, This is it; even unto God shall come the word of them both; he whom God shall condemn shall repay double to his companion.
9. When a man shall give to his companion an ass, or an ox, or one of the small cattle, or any beast, to take care of and it die, or be broken, or be led away captive, no one seeing it:
10. The oath of Jehovah shall be between them both, to see whether he hath put his hand to his companion‘s work, or whether its lord hath taken it; and he shall not repay.
11. And if stealing it shall be stolen from him, he shall repay to its lord.
12. If tearing it shall be torn, he shall bring a witness for it; he shall not repay that which was torn.
13. And when a man shall borrow from his companion, and it be broken, or die, the lord thereof not being with it, repaying he shall repay.
14. If the lord thereof be with it, he shall not repay; if he is a hireling he shall come in his hire.
15. And when a man shall persuade a virgin who is not betrothed, and shall lie with her, endowing he shall endow her to himself for a woman.
16. If refusing her father shall refuse to give her to him, he shall pay silver according to the dowry of virgins.
17. Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
18. Everyone that lieth with a beast, dying he shall die.
19. He that sacrificeth to gods, save to Jehovah alone, shall be accurst.
20. And a sojourner thou shalt not afflict, and shall not oppress; for ye were sojourners in the land of Egypt.
21. Any widow and orphan ye shall not afflict.
22. If afflicting thou shalt afflict him, so that crying he shall cry unto Me, hearing I will hear his cry:
23. And Mine anger shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall become widows, and your sons orphans.
24. If thou shalt lend silver to My people, the needy with thee, thou shalt not be to him as a usurer; ye shall not put usury upon him.
25. If taking a pledge thou shalt take in pledge thy companion’s garment, even at the going in of the sun thou shalt restore it to him:
26. For it is his only covering, it is his garment for his skin, wherein he may sleep; and it shall be, when he shall cry unto Me, that I will hear; for I am merciful.
27. Thou shalt not curse God, and a prince in thy people thou shalt not execrate.
28. The firstfruits of thy grain, and the firstfruits of thy wine, thou shalt not delay. The firstborn of thy sons thou shalt give to Me.
29. So shalt thou do with thine ox, and with thy flock; seven days it shall be with its mother; on the eighth day thou shalt give it to Me.
30. And ye shall be men of holiness to Me; and flesh that is torn in the field ye shall not eat; ye shall cast it to the dog.EXODUS 22 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Exodus - BM Home - Full Page