GENESIS 38Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page
1. And it came to pass in this time and Judah went down from his brethren, and turned aside even to a man, an Adullamite, and his name was Hirah.
2. And Judah saw there a daughter of a man, a Canaanite, and her name was Shua; and he took her, and came to her.
3. And she conceived and bare a son, and he called his name Er.
4. And she conceived again and bare a son, and she called his name Onan.
5. And she added again and bare a son, and she called his name Shelah; and he was in Chezib when she bare him.
6. And Judah took a woman for Er his firstborn, and her name was Tamar.
7. And Er, Judah‘s firstborn, was evil in the eyes of Jehovah; and Jehovah caused him to die.
8. And Judah said unto Onan, Come to thy brother’s wife, and perform the duty of a husband‘s brother unto her, and raise up seed to thy brother.
9. And Onan knew that the seed would not be his; and it came to pass when he came to his brother’s wife, and he destroyed it to the earth, that he might not give seed to his brother.
10. And the thing which he did was evil in the eyes of Jehovah; and He caused him also to die.
11. And Judah said to Tamar his daughter-in-law, Remain a widow in thy father‘s house, till Shelah my son be grown up; for he said, Lest he also die, like his brethren. And Tamar went and abode in her father’s house.
12. And the days were multiplied, and Shua‘s daughter died, the wife of Judah; and Judah was comforted, and went up unto the shearers of his flock, he and his companion Hirah the Adullamite, to Timnah.
13. And it was told Tamar, saying, Behold, thy father-in-law goeth up to Timnah to shear his flock.
14. And she put off from upon her the garments of her widowhood, and covered herself in a veil, and wrapped herself, and sat in the gate of the fountains which is upon the way to Timnah; for she saw that Shelah was grown up, and she was not given unto him for a woman.
15. And Judah saw her, and thought her to be a harlot, because she had covered her face.
16. And he turned aside unto her to the way, and said, Grant I pray that I may come to thee; for he knew not that she was his daughter-in-law. And she said, What wilt thou give me, that thou mayest come to me?
17. And he said, I will send thee a kid of the goats from the flock. And she said, If thou wilt give a pledge, till thou send it?
18. And he said, What pledge shall I give thee? And she said, Thy signet, and thy kerchief, and thy staff that is in thy hand. And he gave them to her, and came to her; and she conceived to him.
19. And she arose, and went, and put off her veil from upon her, and put on the garments of her widowhood.
20. And Judah sent the kid of the goats by the hand of his companion the Adullamite, to receive the pledge from the woman’s hand; and he found her not.
21. And he asked the men of that place, saying, Where is the harlot that was at the fountains upon the way? And they said, There was no harlot there.
22. And he returned to Judah and said, I have not found her; and also the men of the place said, There was no harlot there.
23. And Judah said, Let her take it to her, haply we shall be put to shame; behold I sent this kid, and thou hast not found her.
24. And it came to pass about three months after, and it was told Judah, saying, Tamar thy daughter-in-law hath played the harlot; and moreover behold she is with child to whoredoms. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt.
25. She was brought forth, and she sent to her father-in-law, saying, By the man whose these are am I with child; and she said, Acknowledge I pray thee whose are these, the signet and the kerchief and the staff.
26. And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She is more just than I; forasmuch as I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he added no further to know her.
27. And it came to pass in the time of her travail, and behold twins were in her womb.
28. And it came to pass when she travailed, that one put out a hand; and the midwife took and bound double-dyed upon his hand, saying, This came out first.
29. And it came to pass as he drew back his hand, that behold his brother came out; and she said, Wherefore hast thou broken upon thee a breach? and he called his name Perez.
30. And afterward came out his brother, that had the double-dyed upon his hand; and he called his name Zerah.GENESIS 38 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page