GENESIS 20Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page
1. And Abraham journeyed thence toward the land of the south, and dwelt between Kadesh and Shur, and he sojourned in Gerar.
2. And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister; and Abimelech king of Gerar sent and took Sarah.
3. And God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold thou wilt die because of the woman whom thou hast taken, for she is married to a husband.
4. And Abimelech had not come near her; and he said, Lord, wilt Thou slay also a righteous nation?
5. Said he not himself unto me, She is my sister? and she herself also said, He is my brother: in the uprightness of my heart and in the blamelessness of my hands have I done this.
6. And God said unto him in the dream, Yea, I know that in the uprightness of thy heart thou hast done this; and I also withheld thee from sinning against Me; therefore I did not suffer thee to touch her.
7. And now restore the manís wife, for he is a prophet; and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live; and if thou restore her not, know thou that dying thou shalt die, thou and all that are thine.
8. And Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and spake all these words in their ears and the men feared greatly.
9. And Abimelech called Abraham, and said unto him, What hast thou done unto us? and wherein have I sinned against thee that thou hast brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? Thou hast done unto me deeds that ought not to be done.
10. And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What sawest thou that thou hast done this word?
11. And Abraham said, Because I said, Surely there is no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me on account of the word of my wife.
12. And moreover truly she is my sister, being the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother, and she became my wife.
13. And it came to pass when God caused me to depart from my fatherĎs house that I said unto her, This is thy goodness which thou shalt do unto me; at every place whither we shall come, say of me, He is my brother.
14. And Abimelech took flock and herd, and menservants and maidservants, and gave unto Abraham; and restored to him Sarah his wife.
15. And Abimelech said, Behold my land is before thee; dwell in that which is good in thine eyes.
16. And unto Sarah he said, Behold I have given a thousand of silver to thy brother; behold it is unto thee a covering of the eyes to all that are with thee, and with all; and she was vindicated.
17. And Abraham prayed unto God, and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they brought forth.
18. For closing Jehovah had therefore closed every womb of the house of Abimelech, because of the word of Sarah, Abrahamís wife.GENESIS 20 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Genesis - BM Home - Full Page