EXODUS 16Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Exodus - BM Home - Full Page
1. And they journeyed from Elim, and all the assemblage of the sons of Israel came unto the wilderness of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, in the fifteenth day of the second month of their going out of the land of Egypt.
2. And all the assemblage of the sons of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron in the wilderness.
3. And the sons of Israel said unto them, Oh that we had died by the hand of Jehovah in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the flesh-pot, when we did eat bread to satiety! for ye have brought us forth unto this wilderness, to kill this whole congregation with hunger.
4. And Jehovah said unto Moses, Behold I am making it rain bread for you from heaven, and the people shall go out, and they shall gather the word of a day in its day, in order that I may try them, whether they will walk in My law, or not.
5. And it shall be in the sixth day, that they shall prepare that which they have brought, and there shall be double over what they shall gather day by day.
6. And Moses and Aaron said unto all the sons of Israel, In the evening, then ye shall know that Jehovah hath brought you out from the land of Egypt.
7. And in the morning, then ye shall see the glory of Jehovah, in that He heareth your murmurings against Jehovah; and what are we, that ye murmur against us?
8. And Moses said, In that Jehovah shall give you in the evening flesh to eat, and in the morning bread to satiety; in that Jehovah heareth your murmurings with which ye murmur against Him: what are we? your murmurings are not against us, but against Jehovah.
9. And Moses said unto Aaron, Say unto all the assemblage of the sons of Israel, Come ye near before Jehovah, for He hath heard your murmurings.
10. And it was, as Aaron spake unto the whole assemblage of the sons of Israel, that they looked back unto the wilderness, and behold the glory of Jehovah was seen in the cloud.
11. And Jehovah spake unto Moses, saying,
12. I have heard the murmurings of the sons of Israel; speak unto them, saying, Between the evenings ye shall eat flesh, and in the morning ye shall be sated with bread; and ye shall know that I am Jehovah your God.
13. And it was in the evening that the quail came up, and covered the camp; and in the morning there was a deposit of dew round about the camp.
14. And the deposit of dew went up, and behold upon the faces of the wilderness a small round thing, small as the hoar frost upon the earth.
15. And the sons of Israel saw, and they said a man to his brother, What is this (Man hoc)? for they knew not what it was. And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which Jehovah hath given you to eat.
16. This is the word that Jehovah hath commanded, Gather ye of it everyone according to the mouth of his eating, an omer a head, according to the number of your souls, take ye everyone for him who is in his tent.
17. And the sons of Israel did so, and they gathered, collecting for the numerous and the few.
18. And they measured it with the omer, and it made nothing over for the numerous; and for the few there was no lack; they gathered everyone according to his eating.
19. And Moses said unto them, Let no one make a residue of it till the morning.
20. And they heard not unto Moses; and men made a residue of it until the morning, and it bred worms and stank, and Moses was angry with them.
21. And they gathered it morning by morning, everyone according to the mouth of his eating; and the sun grew hot, and it melted.
22. And it was that on the sixth day they gathered bread double, two omers for each one; and all the princes of the assemblage came and told Moses.
23. And he said unto them, This is what Jehovah spake, A rest, a sabbath holy to Jehovah, is the morrow; what ye will bake, bake ye; and what ye will boil, boil ye; and all that is left over, this lay ye by for you to keep until the morning.
24. And they laid it by till the morning, as Moses commanded, and it did not stink, and the worm was not in it.
25. And Moses said, Eat ye this today, because today is a sabbath to Jehovah, today ye shall not find it in the field.
26. Six days ye shall gather it, and on the seventh day is the sabbath, it shall not be in it.
27. And it was on the seventh day there went out some of the people for to gather, and they found none.
28. And Jehovah said unto Moses, How long do ye refuse to keep My commandments and My laws?
29. See ye, because Jehovah hath given you the sabbath, therefore He giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; rest ye everyone in his place, let no one go forth from his place on the seventh day.
30. And the people rested on the seventh day.
31. And the house of Israel called the name of it Manna; and it was like coriander seed, white; and the taste of it was like that of a cake in honey.
32. And Moses said, This is the word which Jehovah hath commanded, Fill an omer with it to be kept for your generations, to the end that they may see the bread wherewith I fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you forth from the land of Egypt.
33. And Moses said unto Aaron, Take an urn, and put the omerful of manna therein, and lay it up before Jehovah, to be kept for your generations.
34. As Jehovah commanded Moses, and Aaron laid it up before the Testimony to be kept.
35. And the sons of Israel did eat the manna forty years, until they came to a land inhabited; they did eat the manna until they came unto the border of the land of Canaan.
36. And an omer is the tenth part of an ephah.EXODUS 16 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Exodus - BM Home - Full Page